- Add a custom profile field to allow people to select a group
- Add the group selection field to the registration form
- Add people to groups after they register
If you have enabled member registration and want to add newly registered members to a group, this guide is for you.
For the moment, people cannot be added to groups automatically when they register. However, you can achieve a similar result using custom member profile fields. There are three steps to this process:
- Next, you need to create a custom member profile field where members can select the group that they are part of.
- Add this group selection field to the registration process.
- Lastly, you will need to manually filter the people who have registered this way, and assign them to their selected group.
Please note that in order to follow this guide, you need to have a paid ChMeetings account, which allows you to use Custom Registration, based on member profile fields.
Add a custom profile field to allow people to select a group
To add a custom profile field that allows people to select a group:
- Go to Settings > Profile Fields and create a custom dropdown list. Under Additional Fields, drag the Dropdown option into one of the right side sections, then enter the names of all the groups you want people to be assigned to, as options in the dropdown.
- Make sure you click Save Settings to save the new field.
Add the group selection field to the registration form
Please follow these steps to add a group selection field to the registration form:
- Go to Users & Roles > Roles & Permissions and edit the Member role (or go to Member Access > Member Role Settings). Here is where you will find the profile fields that you have enabled, as well as your custom groups list field.
- Check the Registration option to enable the fields you want within the registration form. Check Mandatory if you want to.
We recommend that you make the Groups dropdown list field mandatory. This makes sure that members do not register without assigning themselves to a group.
While you are here, please ensure appropriate member permissions.
Add people to groups after they register
When people show up in your People list, you can follow these steps on a regular basis, to assign them to groups:
- Use Advanced Search > Additional Fields to filter by their group selection in the dropdown you added to their profile.
- Next, select the people you want to add to the group you just filtered. Click Bulk Actions, select Add to Groups, then add them to the group that you filtered by.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for each group you added to the list.
Please note that the groups you enter into the custom dropdown list will NOT be in sync with your actual groups list. When you add or remove a group within the Groups module, and you want people to assign themselves to new groups as a result, then please also update the custom dropdown list so that it corresponds to your new list of groups.